FIRST IN CLASS
Designed to be extremely fast, very affordable and to rate well under IRC, HPR, ORCi, as well as others, this is a no compromise, 100% prepreg carbon fiber racing machine from the world’s best IRC race boat designer Judel Vrolijk. The designer's accolades are many, including multiple America's Cup successes, and in recent years the JV designs have been on the podium at nearly all of the world’s major regattas. With the HH42, JV has completely satisfied the design brief and met every challenge they were given. Join those already at the head of the fleet. To date 5 boats have been sold and are already winning at regattas around the world.
The Regatta Winner
The challenges of any design are multi-layered, but simply prioritised; first, the boat must be very fast, nobody wants to go slow any more; second, it must be a capable regatta winner, especially under IRC. 80% of the world races under this rule, so we have made sure the HH42 sails well to her handicap. Winning a regatta is about consistently high results with good averages in all points of sail, not necessarily just a strong upwind or downwind boat. Third, ergonomic design and construction so that sailing systems are highly efficient below deck as well as topside.
JV designers have crafted the powerful lines of this hull cleverly, enabling it to handle 500kg less displacement. This both future-proofs the boat for performance optimization and makes it compatible for the HPR rule with a carbon keel fin among other go-fast modifications. Optimized for 8-16 knots of wind speed, a very powerful beam, soft chine, flush deck, plumb bow, bow sprit, pedestal driven winches, deep high-aspect foils, athwartship sheeting, backstay deflectors, and a high modulus carbon fiber Southern Spars rig make this the ultimate modern racing machine. With berths for 10, galley and enclosed head, the HH42 is suitable for offshore blue water racing too. The hull in particular stands out from its competitors will full bow sections, tumble home in the topsides and a massive gunwale radius forward. As a result the boat has less windage, saves forward deck weight and is very quickly and comfortably up surfing with its big A sails.
The entire construction process has been carefully designed and managed by our team in China, so as to create a very affordable boat. We have systematically fine turned the boat building into a streamlined process, using robotic technology to make female carbon molds and cut the prepreg carbon. The use of internal monocoquestructure means that a tape measure is no longer required to build the boat to within millimeter perfection.
To find out what winning yacht design and construction looks like, read on, and if you'd like to receive additional information, schedule a visit to the yard, or organize a test sail in your area, contact us today.
When we began discussing the new design, our design brief included a 500kg reduction in displacement. This decision was twofold: to future-proof the boat for IRC rating and make it HPR competitive. Modifications to the IRC rules during 2013 have favored us by reducing the displacement, which has created a lighter and even faster racing yacht with an even better TCC number for IRC.
Development with existing boats led to many tweaks and changes to further refine this racing yacht, keeping it on the competitive edge. The foil package has been tweaked for better handling when blast reaching, the rig has been upgraded and made lighter, and the offshore compatible interior is constructed from fully female moulded modules for better ergonomics and weight savings.
Additional changes to deck gear systems to get the very most out of sail controls, and further improvements such as rig tuning, foil enhancement, interior development and a new bulb that is 500kg lighter have all been completed. The boat has improved drastically - so much so that we relaunched it as the HH42: Mark2.
No other race boat can offer you this much race winning performance for such a good price.
Unbeatable performance and unbeatable value.
To win on line and IRC in its size range optimized for 8-14 knots of TWS, but with flexibility for strong offshore performance.
To create High Performance (fast and fun), no compromise racing yacht for professional yachtsmen and club yachtsmen alike.
To create space below for ease of sail handling, yet accommodate limited offshore racing.
To create the strongest, safest, and stiffest hull, deck, and structures to deliver winning results and reliable performance.
The boat must look potent and beautiful.
Designers Judel / Vrolijk & CO - Engineering Gmbh
Builder Hakes Marine China
Structural Engineers SDK Structures USA
- LOA: 12.6 m
- BOA: 4.35 m
- Draft: 2.8 m
- Displacement: 4.95 t
- Sail Area Upwind: 106 sqm
- Sail Area Downwind: 245 sqm
- ISP: 18.71 m
Hull / Deck
- 100% carbon prepreg / cured at high temperature
- Thermoformed damage tolerant foam cores
- Engineered weight controlled toughened core adhesive films
- Engineered to ISAF Category 1 Safety regulations / ISO Regulations
- Keel socket integral with hull shell laminate
Bulkheads / Structures
- 100% carbon prepreg
- Finite Element Analysis of keel floor and principle structures
- Unique monocoque single piece bottom shell structure
- Weight controlled toughened core adhesive films
- 100% carbon secondary bonding
- Optimized open plan interior ease of sail handling
- Perfect hand finished two pot paint mid section
- 8 berths standard, 6 retracting pipecots, 2 fixed berths in the saloon with forward V-berth.
- Enclosed head, port and starboard crew lockers and full height hanging locker.
- 30hp Yanmar engine with sail drive / Gori racing propeller/42 litres fuel / deck filled
- 1 burner wire frame cooker / lightweight chemical toilet.
- Integral engine box with bottom step and electronic displays and controls.
- Red and White LED interior lighting / aircraft spec wiring.
High lift foils/keel fin cast iron epoxy primed, epoxy GRP sheaved for higher corrosion protection.
Keel socketed to hull for easy and quick removal and installation, and enhanced safety and stiffness.
Bulb is solid cast 2.2 tons with 1.5% antimony lead.
Rudder foil is high lift with 100% carbon autoclaved prepreg stock, and 100% carbon prepreg blad.
Bearing are water tight self aligning.
Tiller is Hakes Custom Carbon with Spinlock extension.
Keel and rudder are factory pre-fitted.
Mast / Rigging
- Mast is a Southern Spar carbon rig with engineered high modulus fibre for increased stiffness and weight saving
- Two piece rig with joiner for easy packing and transportation
- Two spreader rig with carbon aerofoil spreaders
- Twin groove headstay foil installed on forestay.
- Box boom, with removable carbon gas vang strut, two reef sheaves.
- Hydraulic Backstay Deflectors for performance adjustments using a ram
- Main Halyard Lock
- Internal mast jack with pump
- Mast base with additional sliding plate and screw adjustment
- Nitronic 50 rod rigging, 12 t Kevlar backstays
- Dyneema SK78 Halyards / 2:1 main halyard with Spinlock jammer and Harken cheek block below deck
- All control lines SK90, spliced with tapered ends fitted and installed
Deck Gear Removable
- 1.5m long 100% carbon prepreg bow prod with two internal tack lines. Custom carbon bobstay
- On deck systems for water proof boat
- Light weight custom carbon forward hatch with pneumatic seal, big internal radius for ease of gennaker hoist and drops
- Composite socketed stanchions / alloy fwd rail, single composite aft aerofoil stanchion with Dyneema lifelines with anti-chaff whipping through stanchions
- Wide under deck sliding companionway hatch with carbon wash board
- Helmsman footrest bars with integrated mainsheet controls to helm position
- Custom light weight Hi Load soft padeyes
- Harken carbo blocks / Spinlock XC jammers
- Primaries / Performa 50s 3 speed, self-tailing, pedestal driven from aft with angled pedestal to clear rudder top bearing
- Mainsheet / Performa 46s 2 speed, self-tailing
- Backstay / Performa 46s 2 speed self tailing
- Pit / Starboard side only Performa 46 2 speed self-tailing.
- Topsides / hand finished 2 pack Alexseal marine urethane one light colour
- Deck / work areas painted non-skid / cockpit painted non-skid / verticals high gloss.
- Interior / hand finished 2 pack semi-gloss mid-section / ends are peelply racing finish.
- Bottom / epoxy two pack primer